When Apple introduced the iPad Pro 12.9-inch tablet, many thought it was taking away something from the MacBook laptop computers. Maybe, maybe not, but Apple definitely sees tablets gaining more laptop features, and tablets as a future computing platform. The new iPad Pro 9.7-inch tablet is almost the same as the iPad Air, but there are two key differences: the Pro has more computing power and better camera.
The ordinary 9.7-inch iPad and iPad Air have been around for awhile, and everyone knows the key features: 9.7-inch screen in 2048 x 1536 resolution, slick processor, so-so camera, huge selection of applications in the App Store, and very robust build quality.
The iPad Pro 9.7 has exactly the same shell casing as the iPad Air, and the Pro looks exactly the same as the Air, but there are dome differences between these two tablets. The major differences are:
1. The iPad Pro has more powerful processor: A9X third-generation chip with 64-bit architecture. It is the same processor as the iPad Pro 12.9 has inside it. The iPad Air comes with previous generation A8X processor.
2. The camera on the iPad Pro can capture 12 megapixel photos, whereas the iPad Air has 8 megapixel image sensor. The big improvement and novelty on the iPad Pro 9.7 is that it can record 4K video. It means video image resolution of 3840 by 2160 (and really large video files). The iPad Air can capture 1080p video.
3. Minor differences, like TrueTone color adjustment and number of speakers on the iPad Pro are featured as well, but they hardly make anyone run to an Apple store.
4. Optional keyboard and pencil for the iPad Pro (that are priced surprisingly high, even though they are Apple accessories).
5. Price: the starting price for the iPad Pro 9.7 is $599, whereas the iPad Air is $399.
If you want more computing power for your iPad, a better camera than the one on your old iPad, or need the Apple keyboard or Pencil, you should consider the iPad Pro. If you read ebooks and other documents, surf the web, follow the news, and watch videos on your iPad, the ordinary iPad is still an excellent choice. The good news for iBooks lovers is that the new release of iOS comes with night shift mode to adjust eyes to night reading.
If you are a writer, you can use a Bluetooth keyboard with any iPad for writing. Very good Bluetooth keyboards can be purchased for $30 from any electronics store.
Hands-on video of the iPad Pro 9.7:
Key features and technical specifications for the iPad Pro 9.7 inch
– 9.7 –inch multitouch display. LED backlight.
– 2048-by-1536 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi) density.
– A9X chip with 64‑bit architecture, M9 coprocessor.
– Storate capacity: 32GB, 128GB, or 256GB.
– 12-megapixel camera: Panorama images (up to 63 megapixels), Auto HDR, Exposure control, Burst mode, Timer mode, ƒ/2.2 aperture, Auto image stabilization, Photo geotagging
– Video recording: 4K video (3840 by 2160) at 30 fps, 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps or 60 fps. Slo-mo video support for 1080p at 120 fps and 720p at 240 fps. Time-lapse video with stabilization. Video geotagging.
– Front camera: 5-megapixel photos, 720p HD video recording.
– Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n/ac).
– Bluetooth 4.2.
– Configurations with cellular functionality: LTE Advanced, UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+, GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900 MHz), for Data only with Embedded Apple SIM.
– Apple Pay.
– Siri voice recognition.
– Stereo speakers.
– 3.5 mm headphone jack.
– Lightning Connector and Smart Connector.
– Sensors: Touch ID, Three‐axis gyro, Accelerometer, Barometer, Ambient light sensor.
– Dimensions: 9.4 inches (240 mm) x 6.6 inches (169.5 mm) x 0.24 inches (6.1 mm)
– Weight 0.96 pound (437 grams) without 3G/4G.
– 27.5‐watt‐hour rechargeable lithium‐polymer battery.